[BioC] ENTREZ identifiers for PGSEA

Dykema, Karl Karl.Dykema at vai.org
Tue Jul 15 16:14:21 CEST 2008

Hi all,

We have been having an offline discussion of this issue. I am posting the correspondence so that it can be referenced in the future. Thanks.

-karl

Sebastien,

Nope, you are doing it exactly right. I fixed that problem a while ago but apparently neglected to upload my code changes to Bioconductor... In the mean time here is the fixed function for you to use:

aggregateExprs <- function(x,package="hgu133plus2",using="ENTREZID",FUN,...) {
  if(class(x) != "matrix" && !is(x, "ExpressionSet"))
    stop("need matrix or ExpressionSet")
  if(is.null(package) && is(x, "ExpressionSet"))
    package <- annotation(x)
  if(is.null(package))
    stop("annotation package name is required")
  if(!require(package,character.only=TRUE))
    stop(package," is not available")

  pPos <- paste("package",package,sep=":")
  if(grep(".*db",package)) package <- gsub(".db","",package)

  nEnv <- paste(package,using,sep="")
  Env <- get(nEnv,pos=pPos)
  if(is(x, "ExpressionSet")) {
    ids <- featureNames(x)
    x <- exprs(x)
  } else {
    ids <- rownames(x)
  }
  lls <- mget(ids,env=Env,ifnotfound=NA)
  if(length(lls)!=length(unlist(lls))) for(i in 1:length(lls)) lls[[i]] <- lls[[i]][1]
  lls <- unlist(lls)
  f <- factor(lls)
  undupx <- aggregate(x,by=list(f),FUN,...)
  rownames(undupx) <- as.character(undupx[,1])
  undupx <- as.matrix(undupx[,-1])
  return(undupx)
}

-karl