[BioC] SQLForge and probes that map to multiple genes

Mark Cowley m.cowley0 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 02:10:52 CEST 2008

Thanks Marc, that does clarify things.
I completely agree with you about the ambiguous mapping problem, and
that ignoring probesets that may stick to multiple different genes is
probably the way to go.
However it is exceedingly difficult to determing when this is the
case. For instance, If you trawl through the latest transcript.csv
files for say the HuGene 1.0 ST array, each transcript cluster ID is
annotated to map to many different things. Most of the time, these are
just the different annotation db's names for the 'same gene', eg
RefSeq, ENSEMBL, ... In the rare cases though, these heterogenous
identifiers from heterogeneous databases will be referring to
different genes. The problem then is identifying these cases.

I'm just making an AffyGenePDInfoPkg for the HuGene and MoGene arrays,
so i'll see how I go there.

cheers,
Mark