[BioC] Number or probes per target. Nimblegen arrays.

Joern Toedling toedling at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jul 28 12:43:26 CEST 2008

Hello,

my feeling and previous experience is that, with 60mers, you can get
reasonable estimates for transcript concentration from a few probes
only, as long as the 60mers are sufficiently specific for that
transcript and distributed all over the array platform and not next to
each other. In fact, Illumina uses one single 50mer per transcript for
their beadarrays, but that one in about 30 copies all over the array to
the effect that you get a very precise measurement for that oligo.
In your case, you probably want to be sure that the 60mers are specific
for the genes/transcripts, have comparable GC contents, and no (partial)
matches to other genes. See the paper by Rennie, Hoyle et al. in BMC
Genomics for a recent, good paper on the effect of mismatches in long
oligos.
The development version of Biostrings provides good, fast tools for
assessing (partial) reporter matches in a genome. Nimblegen probably
does a good job with the probe selection, but if you conduct such an
assessment yourself beforehand, you will know what kind of
cross-hybridization you could expect to see later in your data.

Regards,
Joern

--
Joern Toedling
EMBL - European Bioinformatics Institute
Email  toedling at ebi.ac.uk