[BioC] bovine Annotation package(s)

Nathan S. Haigh N.Haigh at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Jul 31 01:24:04 CEST 2008

Hi Louisa,

Just to clarify with a few things I've learnt in the last week or two regarding the Bioconductor annotation packages/framework.

There are currently two types of annotation packages:
1) Those built by AnnBuilder
2) Those built by SQLForge

The former are the older style annotation packages which I believe are being replaced by the latter. The latter are better as the annotations are
actually stored/distributed in a database format using SQLite and are linked to online resources so are far more extensible than the old flat file
format. However, the latter requires a certain amount of configuration/setup by the bioconductor devs to create a *.db0 package (not distributed with
BioC) for a given organism which are used to generate the "real" annotation package which is distributed with BioC. As a result, if you need an
annotation package for an unsupported organism (I think there are currently 7), you need to ask the devs nicely to build the *.db0 package or you can
use AnnBuilder to build an old-style annotation package.

I have built such a file for the affymatrix bovine chip. However, there are limitations (which I don't yet fully understand) to what packages you can
use to analyse the annotations - not sure it it's because those packages expect the new style *.db annotation packages or not. I need to figure out
exactly what the issue are, but I can send you the package if you like?

Cheers,
Nathan