[BioC] Rgraphviz, R 2.7.0 and Windows XP

Li Long Li.Long at isb-sib.ch
Wed Jun 4 10:51:43 CEST 2008

>    In the short - and likely even medium term that may be the only
> solution.  There do not seem to be easy ways to build a DLL that is
> compliant (which is why the very old one was retained for such a long
> time) and it requires a substantial effort with every new version of
> Graphviz that comes out - given competing needs for scarce resources, I
> am afraid that this is likely to be a month or more.
>
>    best wishes
>     Robert

Hi,

Graphviz releases are also not as stable as one would hope:

(1) graphviz 2.16 didn't contain some required .dlls as graphviz 2.15,
which causes a lot of confusions, it seems like graphviz 2.18 contains all
the .dlls needed and it works ok in linking;  the README was written when
testing was done for graphviz 2.15, assuming graphviz releases are
somewhat stable...

(2) graphviz built on Windows uses Microsoft Visual Studio, not minGW or
any thing Linux-like, and the developers strongly discourage
build-your-own approach; when mixing the .obj from these different
sources, things are pretty nasty, and we (me and graphviz developers)
haven't found a way out; it seems that the suggestion from graphviz users
and developers is to use .dlls;

It's not without trying...

Li