[BioC] a question about LIMMA

Francois Pepin fpepin at cs.mcgill.ca
Thu Jun 5 18:30:08 CEST 2008

Dear Erika,

please include the bioconductor list in your replies. That way other
people can chime in and people with the same question in the future can
find the posts in the archives.

You might want to try the arrayQualityMetrics package for your QC also.

It depends if you mean by "handle". Differential expression is only one
of the operation that is generally done with microarrays, after all. I
generally use limma for differential expression, but other packages are
available.

I do not do any kind of sorting with the RG object. As I said, I check
the duplicate probes to make sure they're the same, but I otherwise
ignore them. Gordon's new function is probably what I would use now to
deal with them.

You might want to read up on what the Loess normalization does. This
kind of repositioning would have no effect at all, as the neighborhood
is defined by the relative intensities of the spots.
?normalizeWithinArrays suggests papers that describes those methods in
more details. In general, you never want to try to "help" those methods
along unless you really understand what they do. You risk invalidating
your results if you do so.

Francois