[BioC] Possible Bug in readExpressionSet

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Jun 6 15:32:06 CEST 2008

Thanks Tiago for your email.

Please in the future post your questions to the Bioc mailing list
(linked from http://bioconductor.org) so that other may benefit. I've
cc'd that group, and hope that you do not mind.

readExpressionSet requires the name of a file that contains the
'phenoData', i.e., sample descriptions. See the description of this
file by consulting the help file for readExpressionSet:

> library(Biobase)
> ?readExpressionSet

which indicates that the phenoData is read by a function called
read.AnnotatedDataFrame. The example at the bottom of
?readExpressionSet shows how the function should be sued. The help
page for read.AnnotatedDataFrame is accessible at

> ?read.AnnotatedDataFrame

The examples on the read.AnnotatedDataFrame page include a peak at the
first six lines of the sample file, to provide an idea of appropriate
format. The examples can be run with

> example(read.AnnotatedDataFrame)

If you have not already done so, you might look at the vignette 'An
introduction to Biobase and ExpressionSet', accessible with

> openVignette()

Having said all that, I've made a change to the 'devel' version of
Biobase so that only the exprsFile argument is required. This will be
available to users of the development version of R after 12:00 PST
Saturday, or in the next Bioconductor release.

Martin

--
Martin Morgan
1100 Fairview Ave. N.