[BioC] EBImage install problems

Crispin Miller CMiller at picr.man.ac.uk
Thu Jun 19 12:16:09 CEST 2008

Hi,
We're trying to install EBImage (2.5.0) on a 64 bit RedHat (EL4) machine
against R 2.8.0, in a development version of Bioconductor.

To do this, we've installed ImageMagick 6.4.1 from source... EBImage appears
to install OK and compile without errors or warnings. However when we load
the library we get:

 > library(EBImage)
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared library

It's looking for EBImage.so, which is present - i.e.
   R/library/EBImage/libs/EBImage.so  exists.

Looking into things a bit further, we can't locate the library
libmagick9-dev, mentioned in the installation instructions. As we understand
it, this should be created if ImageMagick is installed from source. Is this
correct? - and can any one suggest what we need to do to make sure it's
built?

Any help much appreciated,

Crispin