[BioC] Normalization Recommendations- severe biological variation (from the digest)

Nick Henriquez nhenriqu at ion.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 23 09:56:32 CEST 2008

Hi Siobhan,

I'm not the greatest expert on this but making the DISTRIBUTION look the
same is exactly what normalisation (across chips) is meant to do. That is
not to say that the EXPRESSION EFFECTS are lost. There are many explanations
around but for me the penny dropped best after seeing the explanation on
quantile normalisation in the PLIER presentation from affymetrix (requires
registration but here's link:
https://www.affymetrix.com/support/learning/expression_data/eda_series.affx)
.

So in short; don't be worried too much by the distribution looking the same
whilst the biology is different. I am comparing in vitro vs. orthotopic
injection and although in excess of 10% of the genes differ SIGNIFICANTLY by
RMA, GC-RMA or PLIER the global expression distributions (i.e. box-plots)
look very similar after normalisation.

As I don't know why you are doing what you're doing: keep in mind that for
LOW expressors any of these global "equalisers" seem to introduce differing
degrees of artefactual gene-linkage which is why you should either ignore
the low-expression end of the spectrum and why some people still like to use
MASS5 when studying pathway-linkage. How much is low and various
work-arounds are the subject of plenty publications. No doubt this will keep
statisticians of the street for a while yet.

Bets regards,

Nick

N.V. Henriquez, Senior Research Associate
Dept. Of Neurodegenerative Diseases
Institute of Neurology, UCL,
Queen Square House rm 124
Queen Square