[BioC] problem with GOHyperGParams in package Category

Mark W Kimpel mwkimpel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 23:15:47 CET 2008

Seth,

As I see it, Category is the general tool, and GOstats is like a
plug-in. I believe the goal is for other plug-ins to work such as KEGG
and others that may arise. Category, in a sense, becomes a wrapper for
these other packages so that the end-user only has to deal with one API
(I like that very much).

Because in R packages are not loaded until they are needed, why not have
each plug-in package have a file that says "I am a Category plug-in" and
each time Category loads it scans the library for compatable plug-ins. A
Category method such as "enabledPlugins(Category)" would tell the user
what "Categories" are available.

Perhaps there is a better R-centric way of doing this, but the goal
would be to allow better communication between objects, both those
currently in use and those available. A plug-in package would only be
loaded when its sub-class was invoked.

Not a quick fix, I understand!

Mark

Mark W. Kimpel MD  ** Neuroinformatics ** Dept. of Psychiatry
Indiana University School of Medicine

15032 Hunter Court, Westfield, IN  46074

(317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile & VoiceMail
(317) 204-4202 Home (no voice mail please)

mwkimpel<at>gmail<dot>com