[BioC] Is it possible to use RMA on Agilent Data

Francois Pepin fpepin at cs.mcgill.ca
Tue Mar 11 15:49:44 CET 2008

Hi Ulrike,

You will still not be able to call the Affy probeset summarization on
it, because you have different number of probes. I do not know who did
the probe selection, but by default Agilent tries to select probes that
give different signal as much as possible, for example relating to a
splice variant or an alternative start site. This is great when you want
additional insights into what the gene is doing, but rather poor if you
are hoping to combine the signal together. I'm not an expert on the Affy
methods, but there are likely other parts that are Affy-specific. You
would have to recode a lot of the routines to deal with the different
number of probe per gene and fake some kind of cdf file to inform them
about the probe information. I have never heard of anyone making a
convincing argument of combining Agilent probes in this way and I would
strongly recommend that you try some other type of summarization.

Once you have normalized your data, you can definitely perform the rest
of the analysis like an Affy array.

Hope this helps,

Francois