[BioC] Application of multiple testing correction in the context of using Stouffer's method for combing p-values

Claus-Dieter Mayer claus at bioss.ac.uk
Mon Mar 17 10:47:17 CET 2008

Dear Scott,

As far as I can tell your gut feeling is correct. Obviously the
Meta-Analysis type approach you are using makes certain assumptions (the
studies are independent, testing the same hypothesis etc...), but
assuming those are met the the p-value you obtain from the p-value
combination method should be a valid one, i.e it is uniformly
distributed under the Nullhypothesis..
I see no reason why you shouldn't use the BH method on this vector of
combined p-values (apart from the problems that you have anyway, i.e.
dependence between genes, but that is an issue that already arises for a
single experiment).

The only thing one should NOT do here is first to adjust p-values and
then combine the adjusted p-values! that would give you a result that I
wouldn't be able to interpret easily.

Best Wishes

Claus