[BioC] GO-Analysis using TopGO for Yeast2 data

Tobias Koschubs biotekk2000 at compuserve.de
Tue Mar 25 09:32:23 CET 2008

Hi!

I tried to do a GO-Analysis using the TopGO package with Affymetrix
Yeast2 Expression data but encountered a couple of problems. As I'm new
to Bioconductor, I would be very grateful to get some help.

The Yeast2-Package related problems are the following: Very recently,
the GO-Annotations have been updated and now include also the
annotations from computationally predicted methods (available from
yeastgenome.org and geneontology.org). Of course, I would like to use
the newest annotations and I tried to use the AnnBuilder
yeastPkgBuilder-method. However, I didn't succeed to bring the
gene_association.sgd file together with the Probe mappings on the chip.
I guess one would need to use the ORFs as identifiers instead of the
SGD-identifiers from the gene_association file. Moreover, I didn't
figure out how to set the path for the annotation file as local (it was
suggested to unpack it in advance). Is there someone from the Biocore
Data Team who has the proper scripts to do it?

With the TopGO package, I did the GO Analysis using the current yeast2
annotations. Unfortunately, it's documentation lacks some details and I
didn't figure out, how to print out the genes (or at least the probes)
according to the top-GO-terms listed by the genTable-Method. From the
source-code, I learned that there's a printGenes-method which possible
should do this. However, the yeast2 chip is a bit different from others
as it doesn't use ENTREZIDs or SYMBOLS and I also didn't figure out what
are the parameters of this method.

Best and thanks in advance,
Tobias Koschubs