[BioC] Docs on Upgrading R in Panther

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Thu Mar 27 18:26:10 CET 2008

Hi Balasubramanian,

Balasubramanian Ganesan wrote:
> Dear All
> We have an Apple Bioinformatics cluster that is still running Panther
> (OS X 10.3.9). Currently, the latest R version we have on it is 2.2.1.

R 2.2.1 ==> BioC 1.7 (released in October 2005). You definitely need an
upgrade!!
Most annotations (metadata packages) in BioC 1.7 are outdated and most
software packages have undergone major changes and improvements.
Also _a lot_ of new packages and features have been added between BioC 1.7
and the current release (BioC 2.1) and more will be added to the upcoming
release (BioC 2.2, end of April).

> Is it possible to upgrade R using some new binaries or is it best/
> possible to be built from source? Is there any documentation
> available on this question? I am unable to find any related threads
> in the archives.

Building from source is documented here:

  http://r.research.att.com/

but I don't know how well supported Panther is.

Note that your question is not directly related to Bioconductor. If you
have issues or need help with installing R on OS X, a better place to ask
is the R-SIG-Mac mailing list.

In any case I would wait the next R/BioC release (in 1 month) before
upgrading.

Cheers,
H.