[BioC] ExpressionSet or MAList

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue May 6 09:32:29 CEST 2008

Dear Dan,

It does rather depend on the microarray platform you're using.  If you're
generating single channel data, such as from Affymetrix or Illumina
arrays, you certainly shouldn't be using MAList.  On the other hand, if
your data is two-colour, I wouldn't myself find ExpressionSet satisfactory
because it doesn't "know" anything about the structure of two-colour data.
Rather than ExpressionSet itself, the real alternative to MAList would be
a data class inheriting from ExpressionSet with two-colour features added.
There may be such a class already on Bioconductor, but I'm not familiar
with any.

Best wishes
Gordon