[BioC] cellHTS: help for NPI normalization

Florian Hahne fhahne at fhcrc.org
Sat May 10 02:27:54 CEST 2008

Hi Klaus-Peter,
taking a look at the source code for function NPI it seems that it
doesn't support activator and inhibitor controls, which I guess makes
sense. NPI is defined as

(my_pos - x_i) / (my_pos - my_neg)

and assuming that the set of positive activator controls has positive
values and the inhibitor controls have negative values, trying to
combine them doesn't give you anything useful. You could use either the
inhibitor or the activator controls like this:

x <- normalizePlates(x, normalizationMethod="NPI",negControls=negCtr,
posControls="(?i)^Mock$",transform=log)

Alternatively, you could treat your inhibitor controls as "negative"
controls, since all you want to archive with the normalization it to map
your values into a range that is specified by any of the controls you
are using. Technically, this wouldn't be a "normalized percent
inhibition", but then again inhibition is not what you are looking for
exclusively in a two way assay...

Hope that helps, maybe Wolfgang or Greg have something to add to this.
Florian

--
Florian Hahne, PhD
Computational Biology Program