[BioC] Read single channel GenePix in limma [was: Analyze miRNA experiment in Bioconductor]

Paul Geeleher paulgeeleher at gmail.com
Mon May 19 13:47:36 CEST 2008

Ok I'm close to having this all sorted and have the
duplicateCorrelation() function working. For posterity I'd be happy to
post a the code and detailed explanation from everything I've done to
the mailing list. It should be useful for anyone doing similar MiRNA
analysis in future. My last question is regarding the design matrix,
I'm not sure if I'm creating it properly.

I have 7 arrays, a, b, c, d, e, f and g. I want to measure
differential expression of arrays a, b, c & d against e, f & g.

In some of the tutorials in the limmaUsersGuide, this design matrix is
simply created as follows:

design <- c(-1, -1, -1, -1, 1, 1, 1)

I've also seen it created using methods like this:

pData <- data.frame(population = c('HER2+', 'HER2+', 'HER2+', 'HER2+',
'HER2-', 'HER2-', 'HER2-'))
rownames(pData) <-  RG$targets$FileName
design <- model.matrix(~factor(pData$population))

These two different methods give me very different p-values come the
end of analysis and I'm wondering what exactly I should be doing?

Thanks for any advice,

-Paul.