[BioC] lumi: target ids versus probe ids?

Mark Dunning md392 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 22 17:56:58 CEST 2008

Hi Michal,

I would definitely recommend working with the probe-level data rather
than the gene-level data.

I have seen many examples of genes with multiple probes where the
results from different probes can look completely different: one probe
can be unexpressed all the time, whereas the other can be differentially
expressed. The reason could be that one probe targets multiple isoforms
of the gene, whereas the other could be targetting one very specific and
rare example.

I don't think averaging the two signals is at all useful in such
situations.

Hope this helps,

Mark