[BioC] making gene sets for geneSetTest of Limma

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri May 30 02:45:18 CEST 2008

Dear Srinivas,

You don't seem to have looked at the help document for the geneSetTest()
function, and you really do need to read it.  That would make it clear
that geneSetTest() produces results for only one set at a time.  So, if
you want results for 10 sets, you have to run geneSetTest() 10 times.
There's no alternative.  Running geneSetTest() 10 times is still a whole
lot quicker than running GSEA once, so it doesn't seem such a problem.

Best wishes
Gordon

----------- Original Message ---------------------------
[BioC] making gene sets for geneSetTest of Limma
Srinivas Iyyer srini_iyyer_bio at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 05:50:30 CEST 2008

Dear Martin,
Thank you for your email. I should have explained
straight and simple.

I want to associate my differentially expressed genes
( data from lmfit and ebayes) to 10 different gene
expression studies.
What i have from those 10 studies is list of genes
that are differentially expressed.  Ive written them
as the following tab-delim text file (.gmt file as per
GSEA)

Study1  NA  G1 G2 G3 G4...
Study2  NA   G10,G49, G432.....

I want to test these gene sets on my lmfit object
using geneSetTest().

In the example listed at
http://www.bioconductor.org/workshops/2005/BioC2005/labs/lab01/estrogen.html.

example;
geneSetTest(knownERgenesOnChip,completeTableEst10$t,alternative="both")

In this particular example, the author is testing the
list of genes with sorted t-statistics obtained from
lmfit object  on 'knownERgenesOnChip' set that has ~20
genes from that chip only.

However, In my case I want to test my lmfit object on
10 different sets. How do I make a smilar
'knownERgenesOnChip' gene set that will have all my 10
gene lists as sets.

Simply I do not want to run 10 genesetTest's on each
gene set. I want to run only once.

In the case of GSEA we make a .gmt file with each line
as one set.

apologies for not writing my question as simple.

Thank you .
srini