[BioC] applicability of tilingArray package

Michael Palumbo palumbo at wadsworth.org
Fri Nov 7 20:41:24 CET 2008

wolfgang,

thanks for your thoughts. i have to say i'm afraid i only sort of follow
what you've said. in an effort to clarify, it sounds like you've said
the methods in the tilingArray package probably aren't a good approach
to do the segmentation given the data i have.

you've said TAS's approach to the segmentation might be good, but
finding the best parameters might be difficult. you've also said that
for (i) i could use the methods of David et al and Huber et al using MM
probes. if i do that, i'll be left with two separate collections (wt and
mut) of normalized data, which i'll then need to find (ii), ie, the
differentially transcribed regions and then segment those results.

the confusing part for me is connecting what you've said about TAS to
using the MM normalizing methods. i don't see how i could use the MM
normalizing methods and get 2 data sets of expression levels and then
use TAS to find the differentially transcribed data and segments. maybe
you're suggestion one or the other, ie, stick with TAS to do it all, or
use huber et al, MM for normalizing and then find some other method to
find the differentially transcribed regions and segmentation?

thanks,
mike

Michael Palumbo					palumbo at wadsworth.org
Bioinformatics Core				voice  (518) 402-4587
Wadsworth Center				fax    (518) 402-4623
Center for Medical Science
New York State Dept of Health
150 New Scotland Ave
Albany, NY 12208

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.