[BioC] Does the strand of a microarray probe matter?

Cei Abreu-Goodger cei at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Nov 20 21:48:25 CET 2008

Hi Nick, and others,

Apologies for not making my question more clear, but I guess there have
been some interesting answers anyway. I was in fact thinking of
expression arrays. And my main interest was from the standpoint of probe
annotation.

It now does seem pretty clear that there are many regions in the genome
that encode transcripts on both strands. If a probe is designed to such
a region, the expression microarrays will be measuring both transcripts,
and you will essentially have a "perfectly" cross-hybridizing probe.

Now, annotation-wise, what should we do? Ignore such probes? At least
flag them up? The problem is, many bioconductor annotation packages only
allow a single gene to be assigned to each probe. So, in many cases you
many be led to believe that your experiment has measured differential
expression for a particular gene (with its set of GO terms, KEGG
pathways, etc) when in fact the changing gene was the one on the other
strand.

These "problems" tend to show up on the list occasionally, for example
when people find out that different databases (Ensembl/Biomart, NCBI,
the manufacturer or a bioC annotation package) lists different genes for
the same probe. Obviously not all, but many of these differences have
been due to overlapping transcripts. In fact, Ensembl recently patched
their probe mapping pipeline to be "strand-aware". If you think that
this would affect a tiny portion of probes, think again: the Affymetrix
probes affected on the human and mouse genomes was around 10%:

http://osdir.com/ml/science.biology.ensembl.devel/2008-06/msg00052.html

Also, from talking to some of the NuID/Illumina mapping people it seems
that they simply don't consider the strand of the probe. But they do
calculate a "uniqueness" score to avoid probes that map to multiple genes.

In the end, I would ideally prefer "cross-hybridizing" probes (of
whatever sort) to be annotated in a way that they could be identified.
But I have no idea of how much a nightmare that would be for the
developers of the current annotation packages...

Many thanks,

Cei