[BioC] tilingArray problems

Anjan Purkayastha purkayas at wi.mit.edu
Fri Nov 7 18:41:50 CET 2008

Hi,
Ran tilingArray package on my dataset. But instead of the well-separated
signal and noise intensities a la Huber et al I get a get a noisy data
transformation (see  normalizedbytilingArray). As a comparison I have
plotted the Non-normalized signal intensities, Reference signal
intensities and the Non-normalized intensity-divided-by-Reference
intensity in the second plot (tilingArray_Normalization_1). It looks
like the strong DNA hyb reference signal may be masking the differences
in the signal intensities between transcribed and untranscribed regions.
Anyone else having similar problems.
Brief description of the array: it consists of non-overlapping 60mers
tiled along the vaccinia virus  genome sequence (ca 190kb)- there are
about 6200 probes in all. We used 3micrograms of DNA for the reference
array hybs and 1.2 micrograms of RNA for the expression hybs.
Normalization was done with the weakest 5% of probes dropped.

Thanks in advance.
Anjan

anjan purkayastha, phd
bioinformatics analyst
whitehead institute for biomedical research
nine cambridge center
cambridge, ma 02142

purkayas [at] wi [dot] mit [dot] edu
703.740.6939