[BioC] R-genetics and Bioconductor for quantitative genetics

Vincent Carey 525-2265 stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 16 16:17:24 CEST 2008

> Hi all,
>
> sorry to bother you with a marginal issue, but I am looking for a
> tool/package for estimating quantitative genetics parameters
> (heritability, genetic correlations, etc etc.).
>
> I found R-genetics, but it seems that those packages have now been
> cannibalized by BioConductor. The R-genetics mailing list seems somehow

Nothing was "cannibalized".  R-genetics developers wanted to capitalize
on Bioconductor infrastructure to aid their effort and their users and
this was arranged.

> not functioning properly, so I was wondering if THIS ML is the designed
> place to discuss such topics.

Up to a point.  Have you looked at, e.g.,

http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/web/views/Genetics.html

the task view for genetics software in R?

> (I would also like to understand a little bit further how good these
> packages are at the moment - GeneticsPed taskview says "Note that
> package is not yet stable. Use it with care!")

This should be brought up with the maintainer of that package, but
perhaps users on the list will comment.