[BioC] globaltest mulitple testing correction

Claus-Dieter Mayer claus at bioss.ac.uk
Mon Oct 20 10:36:55 CEST 2008

Hello Michael,

I think there are some things you are confusing here. It is correct that
SAM uses a permutation method to give q-values, i.e.estimates of the FDR
one would obtain when thresholding at the given value of the
test-statistic. This is SAM's specific way of using the permutations
though. In general a permutation test will give you a simple traditional
p-value for each gene, that has to be corrected for multiplicity just
like any other p-value. The main difference is that a permutation method
doesn't use a theoretical probability distribution to calculate, but
uses an empircial distribution obtained by resampling. For large
sample-sizes the two distributions and thus the two p-values obtained
from them will hardly differ, which is one way to see that calculating a
permutation p-value does not solve the multiple testing problem per se.
The same holds if you test many pathways/gene sets and obtain a p-value
for each. If for example you have 100 pathways and call all the ones
with p less than 5% significant you would expect 5 significant pathways
by chance, even if none of them is really changed, i.e. you have the
same old multiple testing problem. Possibly one could come up with SAM
like way of giving q-values for this situation (it is quite likely that
somebody has already come up with that idea too, others here might know
that better), but as far as I know the Globaltest package doesn't do
that, so they are absolutely correct in the paper and vignette about
this issue.
One thing to keep in mind is that adjusting p-values for gene set
analysis is not trivial as the gene sets are likely to overlap.

Hope that helps,

Claus

 Dr Claus-D. Mayer                    | http://www.bioss.ac.uk
 Biomathematics & Statistics Scotland | email: claus at bioss.ac.uk
 Rowett Research Institute            | Telephone: +44 (0) 1224 716652
 Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.     | Fax: +44 (0) 1224 715349