[BioC] Error reading FCS file using FlowCore 1.6.0

Florian Hahne fhahne at fhcrc.org
Mon Oct 20 20:40:03 CEST 2008

Hi Noah,
got your file and it seems like there are two issues:
1.) No PnE keywords
2.) The offsets in the headers are incorrect. There is some redundancy
in the FCS standard regarding where and how to store offsets, bitwidth
and total event numbers, flowJo only gets the latter two right. The
offsets are completely screwed and I guess they still point into the
original data rather than the subset. Ugly!!!!

Anyways, the PnE problem can be overcome by setting transform=FALSE in
read.FCS in which case we never get to the point where we need them (I
love lazy evaluation...), the broken offsets needed a little patch. Just
source the attached IO.R file and you should have an additional
overrideHeader argument to read.FCS which you might want to set to TRUE
for the messed up flowJo files. If set to FALSE you get the original
behavior, i.e., offsets are read from the header and later we check
whether the data we read in matches the recorded number of events.

I'll let Adam Treister know about this issue, should be a very simple
fix ontheir side.

Florian

--
Florian Hahne, PhD