[BioC] Rgraphviz and graphviz on windows pc's

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Oct 25 16:59:50 CEST 2008

ravi <rv15cap at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I have graphviz v2.21 installed along with R 2.8 and Rgraphviz. I am
> not able to get Rgraphviz to function, on win XP and Vista pc's.There
> has been a lot of discussion on this, both in the bioconductor and the

Ravi -- Likely you need to

o. install graphviz ***2.16*** Windows ***binary*** distribution from

     http://www.graphviz.org/Download_windows.php

   say, in dir $DIR.  We use the following as an example:

     C:\R-tools\graphviz-2.16

   If you install it in other dir, just use your dir correspondingly.

o. set the following Windows environment variables accordingly
   (control panel -> systems -> Advanced -> Environment Variables ):
   (a) create new user variables:
     GRAPHVIZ_INSTALL_DIR   (e.g., C:\/R-tools\/graphviz-2.16)
     GRAPHVIZ_INSTALL_MAJOR (e.g., 2)
     GRAPHVIZ_INSTALL_MINOR (e.g., 16)

     Notice the way "\/" are used for the paths above.

   (b) add to user variable 'path': $GRAPHVIZ_INSTALL_DIR/bin
     e.g., C:\R-tools\graphviz-2.16\bin

This is from the instructions in the README file of Rgraphviz. Some
functionality remains unavalable, especially exporting to .dot files.

Martin