[BioC] Reading ArrayExpress data [was Re: questions on the ImaGene data using limma package]

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Oct 30 02:25:57 CET 2008

Dear Ming,

Thank you for mailing me example data sets and the annotation spreadsheet
from ArrayExpress.

You are assuming that the data from ArrayExpress are in ImaGene format.
This is incorrect.  The reason that limma gives a special treatment to
ImaGene files is that, unlike other image analysis software, ImaGene
writes the Cy3 and Cy5 channels into separate files.  However ArrayExpress
has collated the original data into data matrices with the Cy3 and Cy5
intensities in the same file for each sample.  Therefore you should ignore
all references to ImaGene in the limma manual, and instead use the
instructions for generic two-color platforms.

The data sets you sent me can easily be read into limma using the
instructions in the limma User's Guide starting page 14 "What should you
do if your image analysis program is not in the above list?"  I
demonstrate this below.

Your emails suggest that you have not yet read any two-color data into
limma.  It is essential that you try some simple examples before trying a
large dataset from ArrayExpress, which will have a complex structure you
might not fully understand.

I don't fully understand the sample annotation file from ArrayExpress that
you sent me, but I doubt that you are interpretting it correctly.  It is
not in the format you need for a limma targets file.  My guess is that
each row of the file corresponds to one array, and that each array has
been hybridized with a common reference that is not mentioned in the
annotation file.  This means that the repeated sample names you have noted
do not represent matched Cy3 and Cy5 channels, but rather represent
dye-swap technical replicates.  That is, they are separate arrays.

If my guess is correct, then a targets file would be something like below.

Let me emphasize that I do not offer a plug-in service to read
experimental data posted to ArrayExpress.  It is your responsibility to
figure out the experimental design and the ArrayExpression data formats.
I am just guessing.

Best wishes
Gordon

READING YOUR DATA FILES

[1] "E-NCMF-8-raw-data-1363346838.txt" "E-NCMF-8-raw-data-1363346856.txt"

> ann <- c("Database NCMF:DB:omadhuman","Database
ebi.ac.uk:Database:ens_trscrpt_id","Feature coordinates:
metaColumn","metaRow","column","row","Reporter identifier","Reporter
sequence type")

> columns <- list(Rf="ImaGene:Signal Mean_Cy5",Rb="ImaGene:Background
Median_Cy5",Gf="ImaGene:Signal Mean_Cy3",Gb="ImaGene:Background
Median_Cy3")

> RG <- read.maimages(files=f,annotation=ann,columns=columns)
Read E-NCMF-8-raw-data-1363346838.txt
Read E-NCMF-8-raw-data-1363346856.txt

> dim(RG)
[1] 37632     2

A POSSIBLE TARGETS FILE

> targets <- readTargets()
> targets
                       Source            DiseaseState
ArrayDataMatrixFile       Cy3       Cy5
1                       3560 Squamous Cell Carcinoma
E-NCMF-8-raw-data-1363346838.txt Reference   SCC3560
2 reference pool of 61 HNSCC Squamous Cell Carcinoma
E-NCMF-8-raw-data-1363346856.txt Reference PoolHNSCC