[BioC] Reading ArrayExpress data [was Re: questions on the ImaGene data using limma package]

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Oct 30 22:40:37 CET 2008

See http://www.bioconductor.org/docs/postingGuide.html.
Note that attachments are not permitted.

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Ming YI [Contr] wrote:

> [...]
>> file.  This means that the repeated sample names you have noted do not
>> represent matched Cy3 and Cy5 channels, but rather represent dye-swap
>> technical replicates.  That is, they are separate arrays.
>>
>> If my guess is correct, then a targets file would be something like below.
>>
>> Let me emphasize that I do not offer a plug-in service to read experimental
>> data posted to ArrayExpress.  It is your responsibility to figure out the
>> experimental design and the ArrayExpression data formats. I am just
>> guessing.
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Gordon
>>

>> READING YOUR DATA FILES

>> [1] "E-NCMF-8-raw-data-1363346838.txt" "E-NCMF-8-raw-data-1363346856.txt"
>>
>>> ann <- c("Database NCMF:DB:omadhuman","Database
>> ebi.ac.uk:Database:ens_trscrpt_id","Feature coordinates:
>> metaColumn","metaRow","column","row","Reporter identifier","Reporter
>> sequence type")
>>
>>> columns <- list(Rf="ImaGene:Signal Mean_Cy5",Rb="ImaGene:Background
>> Median_Cy5",Gf="ImaGene:Signal Mean_Cy3",Gb="ImaGene:Background
>> Median_Cy3")
>>
>>> RG <- read.maimages(files=f,annotation=ann,columns=columns)
>> Read E-NCMF-8-raw-data-1363346838.txt
>> Read E-NCMF-8-raw-data-1363346856.txt
>>
>>> dim(RG)
>> [1] 37632     2
>>

>> A POSSIBLE TARGETS FILE
>>
>>> targets <- readTargets()
>>> targets
>>                       Source            DiseaseState ArrayDataMatrixFile
>> Cy3       Cy5
>> 1                       3560 Squamous Cell Carcinoma
>> E-NCMF-8-raw-data-1363346838.txt Reference   SCC3560
>> 2 reference pool of 61 HNSCC Squamous Cell Carcinoma
>> E-NCMF-8-raw-data-1363346856.txt Reference PoolHNSCC
>>

>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Ming YI [Contr] wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Dear Gordon:
>>>
>>> I tried to use limma to deal with ImaGene dataset I downloaded from
>>> ArrayExpress. I never deal with ImaGene data before and not familiar with
>>> ImaGene data format except knowing that the Cy5 and Cy3 signals are stored
>>> in two separate files for the same sample. I tried to read the data into
>>> limma and normalize them in the context of limma. and I keep running into
>>> issues and errors. and I wish you can help me with this regard:
>>>
>>> I did attach a file (E-NCMF-8_sdrf.txt) that was download from
>>> ArrayExpress can be potentially used for making the target file, and also
>>> I attached two raw data files of the ImaGene dataset as examples. The
>>> thing bothering me is as followed:
>>>
>>> Extract 3538  and Extract 3526 (see column "Extract Name" of
>>> E-NCMF-8_sdrf.txt file) , they do have one Cy5 and one matched Cy3 files,
>>> so that's fine with me. but in particular, for "Extract reference pool of
>>> 61 HNSCC" (see E-NCMF-8_sdrf.txt file), there are multiple Cy3 and Cy5 for
>>> such samples, how should we incorporate that into the target file?
>>>
>>> I intended to use the following code to deal with this ImaGene data

>>> files<-targets[,c("FileNameCy3", "FileNameCy5")'