[BioC] How to interpret the vst transformation of illumina expression data?

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Sep 2 23:05:32 CEST 2008

Dear Eva

the short answer is that you can report VST transformed data just like
log-transformed data, and compute (estimates of) relative fold change as
you suggest.

The slightly longer answer is that

    asinh(x) = log(x + sqrt(x^2 + 1))

and this extra term "sqrt(x^2 + 1)" only really plays a role when x is
small (for large x, asinh(x)~log(2x)=log(x)+const.) Its role is similar
to what is called "background correction" in approaches that are
log-transformation based, and it makes sure that (log-)ratios between
small intensities are regularized towards 1 (0), in order to control (or
stabilize) the variance.

For example, the "normexp background correction" is a complicated
non-linear transformation of the data intended to be applied before the
log-transformation.

  Best wishes
	Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber, EMBL-EBI, http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber