[BioC] Generating random gene lists: does sample/resample generate random sets

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Thu Sep 11 17:40:19 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Ochsner, Scott A <sochsner at bcm.tmc.edu> wrote:
>  Thomas, Sean,
>
> I see your reasoning and will leave the curated list of genes in the universe prior to random list generation.  However, what about the following scenario?  Lets say the genes are left in, 1000 random gene lists are generated, and each of these are tested for their classification performance.  If I
> repeat this whole process say 1000 times and find that on average 70 random gene lists out of 1000 perform equally well as myCuratedList in sample classification.  Not a ringing endorsement for myCuratedList.  Yet, there is the possibility that the random gene lists which perform equally well have
> significant overlap with myCuratedList and are essentially the same as myCuratedList.  How do I adjust the probability to account for this?

Hi, Scott.  That is exactly the test that you want to do and, yes, it
could have a just the outcome that you suggest, in which case you do
not have terribly strong evidence for your gene list being better than
random.  But stacking the deck (or depleting the deck, as the case may
be) is a definite no-no.  The results obtained by leaving your gene
list out are not interpretable, so don't bother comparing the two
different methods, one leaving your gene list in and one taking it
out; the latter is simply not valid.

Sean