[BioC] Bizarre artifacts in MA plots for ChIP-chip data

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 24 20:14:29 CEST 2008

Hi,

should I say welcome to the "microarray" world, or have you this far
been so fortunate not seeing these "artifacts" before? [no sarcasm].
The MA artifacts you illustrate are probably one of the most
frequently observed systematic effects when comparing two
channels/arrays as you do.

I'm going to keep my answer short and precise:

  It *is* because your (non-logged) signals have *offset* that you
observe these artifact.

You will probably hear heaps of other reasons, but if you stick with
the above you are better off.

Several people spent a lot of time on this issue and there are many
normalization methods addressing the offset problem in different ways
(and yet more that try to treat the symptom but not the cause).  I
will not tell you what normalization method is the best (it probably
depend on platform and quality of data etc).  I also spent "some"
(read tons) time trying to understand the bits and details of this, so
although a bit biased, my sincer suggestion is for you to have look
at:

H. Bengtsson and O. Hössjer, Methodological study of affine
transformations of gene expression data with proposed robust
non-parametric multi-dimensional normalization method, BMC
Bioinformatics, 2006, 7:100. URL:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/7/100/

H. Bengtsson, G. Jönsson and J. Vallon-Christersson, Calibration and
assessment of channel-specific biases in microarray data with extended
dynamical range, BMC Bioinformatics, 2004, 5:177. URL:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/5/177/

It was our hope when we wrote those that if read carefully they would
bring better understanding of the problem.

In the end of the day (or week) you will see that what happens is very
simple and intuitive.

Cheers

Henrik