[BioC] can LIMMA deal with count data?

Milena Gongora m.gongora at imb.uq.edu.au
Fri Sep 26 07:39:04 CEST 2008

Hello limma users.

Can LIMMA fit a linear model to a Poisson distribution?

My dataset is equivalent to an array but instead of intensities the
genes have counts (it is sequence data). I would like to perform an
eBayes() kind of analysis. However, is seems that this data has the
attributes of a poisson distribution and (please correct me if I am
wrong) fitting the linear model using lmFit() would not be suitable...

So I wonder if there is another function that can fit a gene-wise linear
model for this type of error distribution? sort of like
glm(family=poisson) but for the whole array? And after this, would I be
able to use eBayes()?

I appreciate your insight.

Thanks,
Milena