[BioC] can LIMMA deal with count data?

Bjoern Usadel usadel at mpimp-golm.mpg.de
Fri Sep 26 08:24:13 CEST 2008

Dear Milena,

probably I am wrong here, since I don't know exactly what kind of data
you have. But why don't you try Robinson & Smyth's packages for Tag
abundances.

I was going to point you to his website, but as of today there is a bioc
package http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.3/bioc/html/edgeR.html.
Also check out the papers by Robinson and Smyth.

I guess this might better model your data.

Best Wishes,
björn

Milena Gongora wrote:
> Hello limma users.
>
> Can LIMMA fit a linear model to a Poisson distribution?
>
> My dataset is equivalent to an array but instead of intensities the
> genes have counts (it is sequence data). I would like to perform an
> eBayes() kind of analysis. However, is seems that this data has the
> attributes of a poisson distribution and (please correct me if I am
> wrong) fitting the linear model using lmFit() would not be suitable...
>
> So I wonder if there is another function that can fit a gene-wise linear
> model for this type of error distribution? sort of like
> glm(family=poisson) but for the whole array? And after this, would I be
> able to use eBayes()?
>
> I appreciate your insight.
>
> Thanks,
> Milena

> This email was Anti Virus checked by the MPIMP-Golm Astaro Security Gateway.

Björn Usadel, PhD
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology
AG Integrative Carbon Biology
Am Muehlenberg 1
14476 Potsdam-Golm
Tel.: +49 331 5678153