[BioC] R package to estimate aggregation of NGS reads

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Sep 29 18:20:45 CEST 2008

Hi Ana --

These are all in the development branch of Bioconductor.

ShortRead will read Solexa, MAQ binary (not yet 0.7.0), MAQ text, 454,
fastq, and 'columns' of sequence data into appropriate data
structures. ShortRead::pileup generates a MAQ-style pile-up vector;
the ShortRead Overview vignette might be a place to start.

Biostrings has functions 'coverage' and 'slice' which calculate a
pile-up like vector and then slice it at a certain height.

Together this gives relatively naive tools for finding aggregations of
mapped reads; probably the statistician in you wants to address (using
R, of course) important questions about, e.g., accommodating different
total numbers of reads per lane, uncertainty in base calls,
information from + and - strands, etc.

There's also the bioc-sig-sequencing mailing list.

Hope that helps.

Martin