[BioC] flowViz Plots Gate Outline and grid.newpage()/viewport Issue

Florian Hahne fhahne at fhcrc.org
Tue Apr 14 02:36:45 CEST 2009

Aric Gregson wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 17:09:55 -0700
> Florian Hahne <fhahne at fhcrc.org> wrote:
>

>> I don't quite follow why you have to draw the plot twice to get the
>> gate outline. This works on my installation:
>> library(flowViz)
>> data(GvHD)
>> tmp <- GvHD[[1]]
>> rg <- rectangleGate("FSC-H"=c(100, 200), "SSC-H"=c(400, 800))
>> xyplot(`SSC-H`~`FSC-H`, tmp, smooth=FALSE, filter=rg, outline=T)
>>

> Perhaps this has been fixed in 1.7.11? Maybe something else is not
> working properly on my installation (quite possible). In previous
> discussions you had mentioned there were some bugs in the drawing of
> xyplot, so I did not mention this and assumed it was one that you were
> aware of. It has been extremely reproducible on my machine for many
> months.

Hopefully! But if you could provide me with a reproducible example using
the GvHD data I could make sure. Would be good to fix this before the
release if it really is a bug.

>> I am also not sure why you want to place individual plots manually.
>> xyplot knows how to deal with flowSets, so the following works fine:
>> xyplot(`SSC-H`~`FSC-H`, GvHD[1:3], smooth=FALSE, filter=rg, outline=T)
>> and if you want to pass in separate filter objects for each frame you
>> can do so by means of a list.
>>

> I'm certain there is a better way, but the above is not what I am
> intending to accomplish. I'd like to plot the same flowFrame from a
> flowSet, but with different plots. That is, I'd like to show the gating
> strategy of the flowSet using one flowFrame as an example. I have not
> figured out how lattice can do that without making individual plots and
> then laying them all on a page.

I see. That is indeed not directly possible with flowViz or lattice
unless you produce separate lattice objects for each plot and arrange
them with split, or your self-defined viewports, which boils down to
pretty much the same thing. I don't see a simple solution to build that
into flowViz since we are very flowSet centric.

--
Florian Hahne, PhD
Computational Biology Program
fhahne at fhcrc.org