[BioC] Visualizing KEGG pathways

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Fri Apr 24 20:32:25 CEST 2009

Hi Tim,

For humans, KEGG uses entrez gene IDs for gene identifiers (they just
preceed them with "hsa:").  So we can extract those by just doing this:

egList = gsub("hsa:", "", glist)

##And then do this to see the gene symbols:
library(org.Hs.eg.db)
res = mget(as.character(egList), org.Hs.egSYMBOL, ifnotfound=NA)

The org.Hs.eg.db library can also help you find out a lot of other
things about your genes.  And, when you look at those gene symbols I
think you will see the answer to your second question.  As an example,
the picture lists a single box with "stat" in it, but you can see from
your list of gene symbols that you have about 7 different kinds of stat
genes.  Also, from the kegg image you will see the many genes listed if
you just click on those green boxes (but you have to scroll down a bit
to see them).

  Marc