[BioC] Visualizing KEGG pathways

Saroj K Mohapatra saroj at vt.edu
Sun Apr 26 15:04:36 CEST 2009

Hi Tim:
> # color the pathway accordingly
> url = color.pathway.by.objects(pathstr, glist, fg=fgcols, bg=bgcols)
> My question is whether I can get the actual gene name (in this case 'AKR1A1') instead of '1.1.1.2' on the node that is given in the graph - i.e., how can I get the gene names (for 'hsa') on the graph ?

It would be nice to have that capability. I do not see any way of doing
that, at least not through these functions: color.pathway.by.objects and
mark.pathway.by.objects. Perhaps some one else might have an idea.

> [1] 155
>
> This lists 155 genes as being associated with the pathway. But if I go to the KEGG graph ("http://www.genome.jp/kegg/pathway/hsa/hsa04630.html") I just see perhaps 20 nodes/genes. Where is my disconnect?
>
 >From the link that you provided
("http://www.genome.jp/kegg/pathway/hsa/hsa04630.html") , I click on
Pathway entry and reach
(http://www.genome.jp/dbget-bin/www_bget?pathway+hsa04630). On that
page, under the category "Gene", these are listed, all 155 (copied
below). You would notice that there are multiple gene ids for the same
EC id, e.g., 10000 (AKT3), 207(AKT1) and 208(AKT2) all stand for the
same EC:2.7.11.1 and are represented by the node AKT on the map.

Best,

Saroj