[BioC] avereps function

Claus-Jürgen Scholz scholz at klin-biochem.uni-wuerzburg.de
Wed Apr 29 11:03:38 CEST 2009

Dear Erika,

I've read that too and of course avereps accepts MAList objects, so from
that point of view the application of avereps is absolutely correct.
However, as far as I remember (I hardly work with limma), the M and A
values are somehow log-transformed, and avereps simply calculates an
average (at least in an initial check that has not been performed on an
MAList). Imagine intensities from replicated spots (for simplicity in
log10), say 2 and 4. Obviously the average of these values is 3, but
re-converted to linearity, the values 100 and 10000 are NOT averaged to
1000. Maybe that's the point...

Bests,
Claus-Jürgen