[BioC] GEOquery installation problem

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Aug 3 18:30:40 CEST 2009

zhihua zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to install GEOquery_1.7.2.tar.gz into my R (version 2.8.1 ). Because I am not root, so I did the following
>
>> install.packages("~/download/GEOquery_1.7.2.tar.gz", dependencies = TRUE, repos = NULL)
>
> This is what I got:
>
> Warning in install.packages("~/download/GEOquery_1.7.2.tar.gz", dependencies = TRUE,  :
>   argument 'lib' is missing: using '/home/izg/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/2.8'
> * Installing *source* package 'GEOquery' ...
> ** R
> ** inst
> ** preparing package for lazy loading
> Error in makeClassRepresentation(Class, properties, superClasses, prototype,  :
>   element 2 is empty;
>    the part of the args list of 'list' being evaluated was:
>    (header = list(), )
> Error: unable to load R code in package 'GEOquery'
> Execution halted
> ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'GEOquery'
> ** Removing '/home/izg/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/2.8/GEOquery'
> Warning message:
> In install.packages("~/download/GEOquery_1.7.2.tar.gz", dependencies = TRUE,  :
>   installation of package '/home/izg/download/GEOquery_1.7.2.tar.gz' had non-zero exit status
>
> I searched in this mailist and found no answer, neither dose in google,
> What am I gonna do then?

I would recommend installing the package the correct way, as the version
you seem to have downloaded is AFAIK not the correct version for your
version of R.

source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite("GEOquery")

Pointing to a downloaded file and saying dependencies = TRUE, repos =
NULL is not going to do what you seem to think it will. You can only get
the correct dependencies if you point to a CRAN type repository, which
is what biocLite() will do for you.

Best,

Jim

> Thanks