[BioC] GEOquery installation problem

Mon Aug 3 22:44:56 CEST 2009

On Aug 3, 2009, at 4:20 PM, zhihua zhang wrote:

> I installed in many ways
> source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
> biocLite("RCurl",lib = '/home/izg/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library' )
>
> or
>
> install.packages("RCurl",lib = '/home/izg/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-
> library')

Are you sure these are working properly? What is the output of these
commands?

> or in command line
>
> ~/tmp/curl-7.19.5> make install
>
> all those seems successfully done!:
>
> * DONE (RCurl)
> The downloaded packages are in
>    /tmp/RtmpYm80DR/downloaded_packages

I can't figure out what the deal is, but it looks like you mixing two
things together here. The first two commands you listed were for
installing the R package "RCurl," but by the looks of your "make
install" command, you are trying to install libcurl 7.19.5 from the
command line.

Is that right? Is libcurl not already installed in your system?

> but, you r right, when I try to load the RCurl,
> either:
>> library("RCurl")
> Error in library("RCurl") : there is no package called 'RCurl'

Just as an aside: tell R that you have your own libraries in a special
directory. I think something like this in your ~/.Rprofile file would
do the trick:

Sys.setenv(R_LIBS_USER="/home/izg/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library")

So you don't have to call library("Something", lib.loc='/home/izg/R/
x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library') all the time, you can just call
library("Something")

> or
>
>> library("RCurl", lib.loc="/home/izg/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-
>> library/")
> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>  unable to load shared library '/home/izhang/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-
> gnu-library/RCurl/libs/RCurl.so':
>  libcurl.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RCurl'
>
> there is nothing in the RCurl folder at all.

Are you saying that there is no RCurl folder at all in /home/izhang/R/
x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library, or that there is a folder, but
there's nothing inside it?

In either of these two events, RCurl is definitely not installing
successfully at all. From the bits and pieces I can put together from
the email, I'm guessing it's failing to install because it can't find
libcurl on your system. It sounds like you're not the admin of your
machine, so you can either ask your admin to install libcurl system
wide, or d/l the sources and install libcurl into your home directory
-- you'd then have to most likely *compile* RCurl from source and have
it link against the libcurl you've installed locally.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou