[BioC] GEOquery installation problem

Tobias Petri petri at bio.ifi.lmu.de
Tue Aug 4 10:08:52 CEST 2009

I had a similar problem with GEOQuery and a missing libcurl as non-root
user.
What worked for me was:

(1) install libcurl (not the R-package but the library) locally on your
system. The __only__ version that provided the correct interfaces was
"curl-7.16.4", all others failed (I tried 5 or so ...), especially those
mentioned in the GEOQuery manual. The call should be sth like:

./configure --prefix=$HOME --enable-shared
make && make install

Be sure the curl-directory's lib-subdirectory contains libcurl.so,
libcurl.so4 (and some more) afterwards

(2) modify your ~/.bashrc (zshrc, whatever) by adding the lib to your path:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/curl/curl-7.16.4/lib/

(3) export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/curl/curl-7.16.4/bin
(this step may be optional)

(4) start R and use
install.packages('RCurl', lib='$RH/library',
repos='http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/misc/cran/')
biocLite('GEOquery', lib='$RH/library')

Works fine for me and should survive new installations since the
libraries are found by now.

Tobias

zhihua zhang schrieb:

> [...]

   Tobias Petri