[BioC] [resolved] xps compilation error on Debian squeeze/testing

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Tue Aug 18 19:32:56 CEST 2009

Dear Bogdan,

Since I do not have Debian and have no experience with Debian it is hard
for me to comment on your compilation problems. However, looking at the
web-site I realize that Debian "squeeze" is a development version, which
may account for the problems.

One issue may be that you are using gcc-4.3 for compilation. From my
experience with openSUSE I can say that I did have some problems with
openSUSE 11.0 which used a beta version of gcc-4.3.1 in the release
version of openSUSE. Some users including me have reported these
problems in RootTalk, see:
http://root.cern.ch/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6932&highlight=gcc4&sid=ab7bb0ad75fec896c4d9d013bd74675b

Luckily these problems have been solved in openSUSE 11.1 which uses the
release version gcc-4.3.1. Maybe, you could try this version of gcc.

Another issue may be that you are using a very old version of ROOT, i.e.
root_v5.18/00b. In your case I would suggest to install and compile the
newest version root_v5.24.00.source.tar.gz.

It would be great if you could use gcc-4.3.1 and root_v5.24.00, and let
me know if you still get the compiler errors.

Best regards
Christian