[BioC] How to get the relative path with list.celfiles() from the oligo package?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 21 16:34:09 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 3:59 AM, Peng Yu<pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
> According the previous messages in this thread, list.celfiles()
> forwards the arguments to list.files(). So all the arguments that
> accepted by list.files() should be documented in list.celfiles().

A common strategy among package developers is to *minimize the
redundancy* of code and documentation in order to improve quality and
ease maintenance.  By passing down arguments to internal/support
functions via '...', and not replicating the argument names and pass
then explicitly (e.g. full.names=full.names), you will always get
access to the most up-to-date features *and* documentation of the
internal function (here list.files()) in case that is updated.  Vice
versa, if list.files() is updated with, say, new arguments the
list.celfiles() and oligo does not have to be updated.  This means
that you as a user don't have to wait for a package to be updated and
the package developer don't have to keep track of all updates
occurring in all other packages. Maintaining package code and
documentation is already time consuming as it is.

So, if I was the developer of oligo, I would (for my and the user's
sake) *not* document list.files() argument explicitly in
list.celfiles() beyond "{...}{Additional arguments passed to
list.files().}.

My $.02

/Henrik