[BioC] Windows binary for GEOquery (R 2.10.0)

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Tue Dec 8 19:39:59 CET 2009

On 12/8/09 10:23 AM, James W. MacDonald wrote:
>> I've made some changes to the vignette in the hopes that it will build
>> fast enough to become available again. I don't have any idea why the
>> Windows build is slower than that on Linux or MacOS, but that appears
>> to be the case, resulting in a timeout in the vignette build process.
>> In the meantime, the package can almost certainly be installed from
>> source on Windows IF you have the capability of doing that.
>
> And having the capability to build packages on Windows is now almost
> trivial. See
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#Can-I-install-packages-into-libraries-in-this-version_003f

We believe we have now identified the cause of the problem for GEOquery
on Windows.  At issue is the use of base::seek which is not reliable on
Windows.  So while installing on Windows from source will work, not all
package functionality will work as desired.

We are working with Sean to fix things by avoiding seek.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon
Program in Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center