[BioC] Patent issues of classification algorithms

Sean Davis seandavi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:38:58 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 4:02 AM, qinghua xu <xy0702cy at yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to know is there any patent related concern when try  to publish a microarray study using different classification algorithms, like KNNs, Random Forest, Support Vector Machine and so on?
>
> I would appreciate any advice, or pointers to any references for this!

A couple of places to look:

In the DESCRIPTION of each package available for R, there is a license
line that may be useful for determining the license under which the
software is released.  More importantly, though, is probably the
citation() entry, which gives the citations for the package that
should be cited if the package is used in a publication.

As for patents, I'm not sure how important that is from a user
perspective; perhaps others want to comment here.

Sean