[BioC] interaction analysis

Robert Castelo robert.castelo at upf.edu
Mon Feb 9 10:24:02 CET 2009

dear Phillippe,

i might be a little late to help you out, but just in case, you may have
found a message of mine prior to this one where i'm announcing a new
package for Bioconductor called 'qpgraph'. This package *does not*
address what you are asking for, namely to identify interaction terms in
a transcriptional regulatory network from microarray data, since the
package assumes that employed microarray data set forms a multivariate
normal sample which implies assuming linearity and additivity. These two
assumptions break down in the presence of interacting terms.

however, i think it could help you to reduce the number of candidate
subsets of TFs where you would try the approach you're proposing or any
other.

the reason why i think this is because if we assume the following model
for transcriptional regulation of a target by two interacting TFs:

TG = beta1 x TF1 + beta2 x TF2 + beta12 x TF1 x TF2

it implies that next to the marginal effect of the interaction term on
TG there are marginal linear effects from the "main" terms (beta1 x TF1
+ beta2 x TF2) and, depending on the beta1, beta2 and beta12, these
marginal linear effects could be detected with a methodology assuming a
linear model like the one of qpgraph.

so, i would propose you to use qpgraph to define subsets of two or more
TFs interacting with target genes (you may want to further filter those
with binding data), and then use those subsets in a further analysis
like the one you suggest.

best wishes,

robert.