[BioC] Adding annotations to fit2 - still having problems

Sally sagoldes at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 18 00:57:30 CET 2009

Hello,

I am using Limma for microarray analysis.  Ultimately I want to
add/combine/append (not sure what word is correct) a file named MGL.txt
(mastergene list) to fit2 so that when topTable prints it will have the
annotation information for each gene.  The first few lines of MGL.txt looks
like this (there are blank cells/missing data).  There are 17,328 rows and 6
columns in this file.

     well accession bitscore evalue symbol
      U179971039 GFP
      empty1 Blank Well
      empty2 Blank Well
      empty3 Blank Well
      empty4 Blank Well
      empty5 Blank Well
      empty6 Blank Well
      empty7 Blank Well
      empty8 Blank Well
      CA054869 UNKNOWN
      CB490276 G2/mitotic-specific cyclin-B2 Q60FX9 524.24 3.58E-148 ccnb2
      CA769480 Endothelial differentiation-related factor 1 homolog Q6PBY3
214.16 8.45E-55 edf1

MGL.txt was read in with:
MGLnew<-read.table(file="MGL.txt",sep="\t",header=TRUE,na.strings="",fill=TRUE,row.names=1)
When MGLnew is printed on screen it looks like this (first few lines)

              accession bitscore    evalue      symbol
U179971039         <NA>       NA        NA        <NA>
empty1             <NA>       NA        NA        <NA>
empty2             <NA>       NA        NA        <NA>
empty3             <NA>       NA        NA        <NA>
empty4             <NA>       NA        NA        <NA>
empty5             <NA>       NA        NA        <NA>
empty6             <NA>       NA        NA        <NA>
empty7             <NA>       NA        NA        <NA>
empty8             <NA>       NA        NA        <NA>
CA054869           <NA>       NA        NA        <NA>
CB490276         Q60FX9   524.24 3.58e-148       ccnb2
CA769480         Q6PBY3   214.16  8.45e-55        edf1

When I then check the # of rows using nrow(MGLnew) it says there are 3312
rows, even though the original file had 17,328 rows.
Also it doesn't include the column "well" in MGLnew.

Why are these two things happening?

Sally Goldes