[BioC] ...another question about using weights on microarray analysis

Matt Ritchie mer36 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 19 05:12:16 CET 2009

Dear Jenny and Erika,

Regarding the question on array weights, so long as you have enough arrays
to fit the linear model to the means, you will be able to estimate array
variance factors using arrayWeights(). The example given on the
arrayWeights help page uses the methodology on a set of 6 arrays with 3
replicates per group.

And yes, spot and array weights can be combined in the analysis by
multiplying them together. Make sure that what you are multiplying are
matrices of the same dimension though - the output of arrayWeights is a
vector, so you will want to run asMatrixWeights() on this vector before
multiplying with the spot weights.

Best wishes,

Matt