[BioC] affylmGUI segfault on "pd.ragene.1.0.st.v1"

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Jan 6 16:16:20 CET 2009

Hi Harry,

Wolfgang Huber wrote:

> Hi Harry & Matt
>
> re your second question, about the CDF package: the way the affy package
> works, it expects a package with name "ragene10stv1cdf", containing an
> R-environment of that same name, with the probeset definitions for that
> chip.
>
> Note that the CDF packages that the "affy" package uses are *not* the
> same as the platform design packages that the "oligo" package uses.
> Essentially: affy = old, tried and tested, but only works for convential
> Affymetrix genechips for mRNA analysis with genechip using 3' probe sets.
> oligo = newer, more general, also suitable for more recent chip types
> inclduding for genotyping..
>
> It seems that you want affy and CDF packages. The make.cdf.package
> function from the makecdfenv package is what you or Matt would want to
> use to build these.
>
> Jim McDonald (cc-ed) has written an overview over the software tools for
> analysing Affymetrix arrays, unfortunately I could not figure out how to
> find it from the Bioconductor webpage, so maybe he can help with that.

I don't know if/where the overview lives. It may not have made it onto
the website as yet - perhaps Herve knows?

> Best wishes
>  Wolfgang
>
> Harry Mangalam ha scritto:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've been trying to get affylmGUI to run on my laptop (3GB, Ubuntu
>> 8.04, R as below:
>> =====
>>> sessionInfo()
>> R version 2.8.0 (2008-10-20)
>> i686-pc-linux-gnu
>>
>> locale:
>> LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>>

>> attached base packages:
>> [1] tools     tcltk     stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets
>> [8] methods   base
>>
>> other attached packages:
>> [1] affylmGUI_1.16.0     affy_1.16.0          preprocessCore_1.0.0
>> [4] affyio_1.6.1         Biobase_2.2.1        limma_2.16.3

This sessionInfo is different than what you should get if you run the
commands below. For instance, oligo isn't loaded. Additionally, you
don't really want to load both oligo and affy, as they share some
function names so you will end up with masking of things you will need,
such as rma(). In other words, if you load oligo and then affylmGUI, the
rma() that you will get comes from affy rather than oligo.

So you are going to be unable to use affylmGUI to analyze these data, as
this package assumes you are planning to use affy to do the
normalization/summarization, and as you know this is done with oligo for
these chips. So at this time your only recourse is to use the
command-line tools in the oligo package.

The segfault is irrelevant to this analysis, but hopefully Keith
Satterley will see this thread (or you could contact him directly) in
case you want to use affylmGUI for other analyses.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.