[BioC] Use of duplicateCorrelation

Erika Melissari erika.melissari at bioclinica.unipi.it
Mon Jan 26 11:52:51 CET 2009

Dear Gordon,

I fixed the problem with eBayes....I used ebayes() and not eBayes() and, as
reported in LIMMA help, "ebayes is the earlier and leaner function. eBayes
is intended to have a more object-orientated flavor as it produces objects
containing all the necessary components for downstream analysis. "
Then, I fixed the problem by using eBayes()

However, I did not manage to fix the problem of duplicateCorrelation()

When I define the design including the dye effect and I use this design in
duplicateCorrelation(), the calculated consensus correlation is NaN, where
without including the dye effect is

-0.55 (I have a dye swap design).

I have tryed to "unswap" the design also (as you suggested in a previous
message), but I have obtained the same result, that is NaN.

I have used a different dataset with the same experimental design also and
the result was the same: NaN

I have tryed to use the simple dye swap design for duplicateCorrelation
computation

>design<-c(-1,1-1,1)

>biolrep<-c(1,1,2,2)
>corfit<-duplicateCorrelation(MA,design,ndups=1,block=biolrep)

then I have defined a new design

>design<-cbind(Dye=1,design)

and I have used this together with the correlation previously calculated by
duplicateCorrelation (-0.55) for model computing

>fit<-lmFit(MA,design, block=biolrep,cor=corfit$consensus,weights=NULL)

Is this a right way of mouving aroud the problem?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Erika